Tuesday 18 November 2008

A small introduction to storytelling




Since always I love stories; I admire the book cover and beautiful images inside it. My imagination will fly along with the story. Among my hobbies are films where I can abandon myself to the argument of the movie and feel glued to the seat, On occasions a visit to a museum or art gallery will left me thinking about a painting. We all know the numerous examples of drawings on the caves in the prehistoric times; these drawings tell stories of the culture and customs of that era. Every culture has its own stories and uses diverse materials and mediums to communicate it. We tend to transmit stories from generations. I still remember even vaguely lot of stories my grandmother told me about the dark and mystic tales in the highlands that she been told when she was a child. Or how my mother told me stories of her love life when she was just 14. she said that men use to lie their coats on the floor to cover a puddle so she could walk over without wetting her feet. I remember imagining the scene and thinking how amazing it was that, It still makes me dream of being there.
So storytelling helps us to enter in our own imaginary world the one we create when we hear a story. Is a magical way to makes us fly, dream, smile, fall sleep in the case of children.


The National Storytelling Network explains that:
Storytelling is the interactive art of using words and actions to reveal the elements and images of a story while encouraging the listener’s imagination.

  1. Storytelling is interactive.
  2. Storytelling uses words.
  3. Storytelling uses actions such as vocalization, physical movement and/or gesture.
  4. Storytelling presents a story.
  5. Storytelling encourages the active imagination of the listeners.


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails