Tuesday 19 February 2008

Charater Design - Desarrollo de personajes
























It is always interesting to create art, it could be a character, a pattern, a painting, it could be photographs, digital art, abstracts.....and is only possible if we let our imagination fly. But to create something it is necessary as well to have a sense of perspective of shapes, colours, and what is right for the piece we are creating. I think every artist has a special ability, some are better at drawing, others at choosing colours, others at backgrounds. Each of us has a special gift which makes us different and will make the difference when we apply for a job.

In this Blog I will focus mainly on characters of the past (after all they were my inspiration when I was a child!) I don’t really like many comics these days I could never compare Snoopy with Hellboy. Obviously I know that there is a whole difference in the ideas behind them both, but what I mean is that is was so nice to grow up in times when innocent, lively, flat, sometimes sarcastic or naughty, but always cute characters reinforced my childhood. Now I only see darkness, grotesqueness and evil, the common themes of stories are fighting, blood, sex, to name a few. Ok someone will say that these characters are for grown ups, but be honest do you honestly think the parents are watching cartoons with the kid all the time??? When I was a kid I was forbidden to watch soap operas (my mother said they were not appropriated for my age!) but I always managed to watch them (when they were not at home). My mother used to unplug the TV cord and hide it and I always manage to find it and put it back and return it to its place in my mother room before she even realised it had gone missing. What I am saying is that is not impossible for a kid to enjoy these new styles. Anyway this is just my opinion and I'm sure the artwork is pretty good but for me artwork has to have a message and sometimes this is just become to superficial and commercial.

I’m posting some examples of characters which I remember with nostalgia!

Scooby Doo
Smarfs (Los pitufos)
Tom & Jerry
Southpark
Madagascar
Droopy
Captain Caveman
Mafalda
Snoopy
Maya the Bee (La abeja maya)
Popeye the Sailor (Popeye el marino)
Candy Candy
The Pink Panther (La pantera rosa)
The Flinstones (Los Picapiedras)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails